Banaban Voice

News and information service for Banaban Network Worldwide!

Sponsors Required to assist with - BANABAN CHILD WELFARE PROJECT Rabi, Fiji

By Radhika Teaoka, Registry and Social Welfare Department, Rabi Council of Leaders

AIM

Provide assistance towards our school children’s needs

TARGET AREA

 Tabwewa

 Uma

 Tabiang

 Buakonikai

BENEFICIARIES

 Kindergarten

 Primary

 Secondary

 Tertiary

PROJECT OVERVIEW

After my poverty survey which was conducted in the month of June 2009, I observed that the majority of the young population on Rabi are school dropouts. This is a result of low income in our society as the major source of income is through fishing, cutting copra and selling handicrafts. Parents are not capable of supporting all their children for education that is for a large family as the cost of living nowadays is very high and income low.

This organization will help fulfil the dreams of those disadvantaged and impoverished children by furthering their education instead of dropping out at the primary school level.

STRATEGIC PLANNING

This objective will be achieved through the help of 2 reps from the allocated villages who will help monitor ay form of fundraising or activities involved.

Funds collected will be banked under “Banaban Children’s Fund”. The aim is to collect approximately $1,000 from our fundraising on the island and we will also be seeking kind donations outside Rabi.

WHEN WILL THIS PROJECT TAKE PLACE?

This organization is awaiting approval from the Councillors concerned in order to proceed. I request if approval could be granted so that we may proceed with activities involved.

Fundraising in Allocated villagers:

Villages - Village Reps

Tabwewa - Terikano T & Umesh C

Uma - Teue & Timaio

Tabiang - Mavita & Assistant

Buakonikai - Terea & Assistant

CONCLUSION

I know this initiative will be worthwhile as this will cater for the requirements of school children and one way of preventing school dropouts and encourage the future leaders of the Banaban generation for higher level education.

HOW YOU CAN HELP EDUCATE BANABAN CHILDREN AND OVERCOME POVERTY BY DONATING SCHOOL STATIONARIES

We are currently looking for kind donations and sponsors to assist disadvantaged Banaban children further their education.

If you would like to get involved the committee is looking for the following donated items:

KINDERGARTEN:

 Ball Pens

 Makers

 Glue

 Library books

 Puzzles

 Crayons

 Paper Clips

 Toys

PRIMARY & SECONDARY STUDENTS:

 School bags

 Lunch box

 Ball pens

 Rulers

 Rubbers

 Pencil Case

 Lecture pads (A4 size)

 Exercise Books

 Sandals/Shoes

DONATIONS: For overseas sponsors can be made online through PAYPAL - fundraise@banaban.com

Donations will be sent direct to Radhika and a report of all donations and expenditure will be made to ensure sponsors that ALL donation money is utilised to ensure that these impoverished Banaban children are able to recieve an education.

If you would like to make direct contact to find out more please contact – Radhika Teaoka, Co-ordinator direct on Rabi: (679) 8503995

If you would like to donate any of the above stationary items they can be posted via registered mail direct to:

Radhika Eaoka,

Co-ordinator,

Banaban Child Welfare Sub-Committee,

C/- Rabi Council of Leaders

Council Office,

Nuku. Rabi. Fiji Isles

Your kind donations would be greatly appreciated and really help make a difference.

Stacey King

ABARA BANABA – Banaba Our homeland

admin@banaban.com

(61) 7 55759005

Views: 650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some thoughts about this project, which is obviously an excellent one, and which I would like to support.

Phoning a number in Rabi to to "find out more about making donations" is simply not realistic.

Would it be possible for you to set up a bank account for donations (one-off or regular) to be sent to, perhaps via PayPal as well as by BACS?

Could you publish who to send cheques to? Made out to whom?

Which currency?

Also, what feedback to donors is planned about the use of funds/help in kind? People like to know how their donations are being used.

Good luck with this.

Jeremy
Ko raba Jeremy,

We have set up a PAYPAL donation address at: fundraise@banaban.com into Australian bank account. All money will be transfered direct to Rabi via Western Union to Radhika. She is very organised and can report back progress on this project.

When we met up with Radhika she was hoping to get an computer and internet connection for her work. Hopefully we can set up this link as the project progresses.

Regards Stacey
That's brilliant Stacey. Thanks. What's the best currency to send? $Aus I guess...

Jeremy

Stacey King said:
Ko raba Jeremy,

We have set up a PAYPAL donation address at: fundraise@banaban.com into Australian bank account. All money will be transfered direct to Rabi via Western Union to Radhika. She is very organised and can report back progress on this project.

When we met up with Radhika she was hoping to get an computer and internet connection for her work. Hopefully we can set up this link as the project progresses.

Regards Stacey
Hi Jeremy
Just spoke to Radika on Friday and she told me that with your $50 she was able to place a young Banaban boy into school for the first time. He has missed out on schooling for the past 3 years and even though he should have been in Grade 3, she was able to place him in Grade 1 (his very fisrst time at school) and he is just so happy to be at school.
She will send through a detailed report in coming days.
She has identified 20 Banaban children who need immediate assistance. She has worked out a $50 budget for each child that will keep them in school for one year.
As soon as her report comes through I will post it to the site and we will be able to really target our fundraising to help her.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling and just wanted you to know that there is one little boy back on Rabi who is very grateful for your help.
So much for just $50! Thanks.

Jeremy
Mauri.

Is there a way we can access the report for the poverty survey that was conducted in 2009??
Mauri Emma yes I have a copy in various .pdf files. If you email me at: admin@banaban.com I will email them to you. Regards Stacey

RSS

Forum

Visiting Rabi and Ocean Island

Started by brian russell in Banaban Issues. Last reply by Stacey King Apr 16, 2020. 7 Replies

Homecoming to Banaba

Started by Christina Maree Buchanan in Banaban Issues Jun 27, 2019. 0 Replies

Slides of Banaba from the 1960's

Started by Dominic Kaukas in Banaban Issues. Last reply by Stacey King Jun 13, 2019. 1 Reply

Events

HELP RABI WOMEN IN FIJI

Help Rabi Women's Organisation in Fiji by purchasing RABI HANDMADE VIRGIN COCONUT OIL locally in Suva, Fiji

Contact

Terikano

for more details

Badge

Loading…

Radio Links

Bwanan Rabi Radio

(10pm Fiji Time 1&2nd Monday each month)

Live Broadcast

© 2024   Created by Stacey King.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service